Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Out With the Old...

Last year we started a New Year's tradition. On the morning of January 1st we sat down after breakfast (crepes!) and wrote down things from the previous year we would like to forget (mistakes, bad memories, etc.). We then burn the pieces of paper in a bowl and proceed to write down things we wish to accomplish for the coming year. I dislike the term "New Year's resolution" because it sounds so daunting. A year is a long time and personally, my resolve to do anything often changes and morphs over time anyway.

Since this was the second year we have done this, we were able to pull out last year's wishes and share them with each other. The best part was reading aloud #1 on my list ("Find alternatives to yelling at my children") right after I yelled at Oliver for being rude and disruptive. Sigh. See what I mean about "resolutions"? But the truth is I actually did better this last year at finding alternatives - I didn't say I was going to yell at them less or stop doing so altogether, right?








Hercules is recruited into the celebration...

No comments: