Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I Feel Robbed (Then Something About Ants)

I just shelled out $160 at OfficeMax to stock our printers and fax machine with ink cartridges. There has to be a better way! I'm asking any of you (whether you know me or not) to please leave a comment if you know of any online suppliers (or other venues) that you have used to get ink for less. Thank you!

To make up for the boring entry above, I'm adding some visual interest for the day which is a small colony of harvester ants. The boys got the ant habitat for Christmas two years ago but I only got around to ordering the actual ants last week. In my defense, I originally ordered them that same year but they arrived too early and would have died if we had waited until Christmas day. Instead we made a habitat with sand and a Kerr jar. It worked fine but of course was not nearly as cool as this one. This one is a clear container filled with a sugary gel which the ants both eat and tunnel with. Attached at the bottom is a lighting unit so the whole thing can be illuminated as shown. The truth is that Brooks and I are as into it as the boys are! It's so fascinating to watch the colony work together and to follow their progress in burrowing the tunnels.

You can go to http://www.antsalive.com/antworks.htm to order both the habitat and ants. The housing is $21 (we paid $30 at a local shop) and the ants are $5 (including shipping when ordered alone).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE eBay for that kind of stuff! I get a lot for a great deal there.

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

And is there any chance that the ants could potentially escape?? It kind of gives me the heebies jeebies thinking of that many ants in my house. That being said, however, I do have 3 hamsters and isn't that, more or less, like having rodents as pets? One of them did escape a couple of weeks ago. (Luckily Rebekah found it 24 hours later in her closet. But Ewww....)
Sorry, I have no good info for you on less expensive ink.

Jim said...

I'm starting a new business..
"Hamsters in Sugary Gel"
I'm still in the beginning stages.. and need to order more hamsters... But I'll let you know how it turns out...

LOVE YOUR BLOG!!

eugie74 said...

As long as Sarah and I get a cut...