Monday, January 26, 2009

Ad Libris

The boys and I took a trip to the library the other day. I saw a book in the kids' section called "Big Lips and Hairy Arms". Based on the title alone, I felt we had a lot in common so I checked it out right away. Turns out we had more in common than the title since, as we discovered together that night, it's about a mom monster who has two little boy monsters! I wish I could say I loved the book but it was only so-so. Here are a few, however, we have enjoyed recently (in no particular order):

1. "I Ain't Gonna Paint No More" by Karen Beaumont (illustrated by David Catrow - fab!)
2. "That Book Woman" by Heather Henson
3. "Before I Was Your Mother (I Had a Life)" - OK, that's not the subtitle - by Kathryn Lasky
4. "Baby Brains: the Smartest Baby in the Whole World" by Simon James (also "Baby Brains and RoboMom", "Baby Brains Superstar")
5. Uncle Remus and tales of Brer Rabbit (these never get old for them - ever.)
6. "Stink: the Incredible Shrinking Kid" by Megan McDonald (they loved this more than I did)
7. "Sinbad the Sailor" from "Arabian Nights: Tales of 1001 Nights"
8. "I Miss You Every Day" by Simms Taback (you can't go wrong with any of his books)
9. "Knuffle Bunny Too" by Mo Willems
10. "Sarah, Plain and Tall" by Patricia MacLachlan. I was surprised they liked this!

I would love to hear your comments on books you and/or your kids have really liked.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I don't have any kids... obviously, but I love story books myself. Holiday books: Santa's First Flight (don't know the author) and Mr. Finnegan's Giving Chest. I also like Everybody Poops. That's one I have something in common with. ;)

by...K@ Ashcroft said...

I just stumbled upon your blog so I don't know how old your boys are but here are few my sister read to her boys and that I read to mine when they were around 8 or older.

Summer of the Monkeys
Island of (blue?)Dolphins
Where the Red Fern Grows
If your LDS (if you are you'll know what that means) The Tennis shoes among the Nephite's series.
There is also a series about a dog that I can't quite remember except that the author I believe is Gerald Lund.

Have fun reading. It's the best thing you can do with your kids. Honestly, you can tell which adults were read to or with as kids and which were not.